Saturday 8th October 2016 11am – 1:45pm
Registration 11am. Conference starts at 11.30am sharp
Venue: Teesside University Student’s Union, Middlesbrough, TS1
With the kind support of the Middlesbrough & Teesside Philanthropic Foundation, the Twisterella (Un)Conference is ALL AGES and FREE ENTRY*
Are you an aspiring musician? Would you like to receive advice and feedback from music industry professionals? If so, the Twisterella (Un)Conference is for you.
Our aim is to provide you with great advice so that you are able to get the guidance you need to get your music the exposure it deserves.
• Vic Galloway (BBC Radio 1, BBC 6 Music, BBC Scotland, RAPAL TV, Columnist – Sunday Herald)
• Claire Dupree (NARC. Magazine)
• Helen Hammill (Cattle & Cane)
• Oliver Jones (Deer Shed Festival)
• David Saunders (Radio Presenter, Promoter and founder of Darlington Music Forum)
• Andy Carr (The Kids Are Solid Gold)
Session 1: Getting Started & Kicking On (11.30am—12pm)
• You’ve got some songs. You might’ve even played some gigs. But what next? We’ll look at: getting local press coverage; establishing a regional presence; band etiquette; basic expectations & other essential information, right through to securing regional dates, securing national airplay and getting your music distributed online via digital platforms.
Session 2: Putting The Team Together (12.10pm—12:55pm)
• Once you’ve started building up a buzz in your home town, what next? You want to kick on, but how do you get a booking agent? How do you get a manager? How do you approach radio pluggers? We’re here to help…
Session 3: A&R (1.15pm—1:45pm)
• Get your track heard by the panel. Are you brave enough?!
• The panel will give feedback on submitted tracks. They will consider aspects such as:
• Is the quality of the recording good enough to gain airplay? Is there anything that might prevent this particular track getting airplay? Could parts of a track be used for syncing, etc?
• This part of the (Un)Conference is not about whether a track is good or bad, but it is designed to give the acts feedback from industry professionals on how they might look to develop things as they move forward.
Important note: This is not some sort of grotesque X-Factor style “rate them and slate them” session. The aim of this session is to provide constructive feedback only. Acts who came along last year achieved national radio play off the back of attending this session. If you’re in a local band, this is absolutely unmissable. See you there!
Track submissions for the A & R panel must be sent to the Twisterella team in advance via our contact page.
* Please note: Twisterella Festival is a separate 18+ ticketed event.
Recap of 2014’s (Un)Conference: http://whistlinginthedark.com/2014/10/12/twisterella-unconference-advice-for-musicians-2101